Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Draw Write Now


These books are SO cool! My mom started doing these this year with three of my brothers (ages 5,7, and 8) and I am very impressed with how well they are working for a: boys and b: several different reading levels! The basic concept of these books is combining simple art lessons with handwriting on different subjects. For example, my brothers are doing animals right now. One day they will all learn how to draw a turkey and my 5-year-old brother will practice his Ts, the 7-year-old will write "turkey" several times, and the 8-year-old will do a short paragraph about a turkey.
Even better is they all love these books! I thought it was neat how you could easily customize the lessons to go with different things (doing the turkey while learning about the pilgrims in history for example). Since boys generally have sloppier handwriting, it was neat to see a program that they like that is also constant practice.
The only negative thing I saw with these books is they are geared towards younger grades in the art lessons. I would be interested to see if the authors of these books continued this idea with more advanced drawing/handwriting. I am definitely doing these books with my boys when they get old enough!
Want to learn more? Get Draw Write Now Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
THANKS!