Friday, March 6, 2015

Cub Scout Astronomy Belt Loop

This week in Cub Scouts we are going to do the Astronomy Belt Loop.  I am SO excited because there are such FUN things you can do to learn about space!
There are three requirements in order to achieve this Belt Loop:

  • Demonstrate how to focus a simple telescope or binoculars. (A local astronomy club may be a resource for this activity.)
  • Draw a diagram of our solar system—identify the planets and other objects.
  • Explain the following terms: planet, star, solar system, galaxy, the Milky Way, black hole, red giant, white dwarf, comet, meteor, moon, asteroid, star map and universe.
  • The biggest hang up I had was the last requirement. That sounded hard for second graders.  Plus, what boy likes vocabulary?  So, in an effort to make it more fun, I used this AWESOME site to make a crossword puzzle for the boys to solve.  WAY more fun and hopefully memorable too!



    For the second requirement, I found the most amazing looking Illuminated Solar System Craft that they can each do with contact and tissue paper on a black posterboard.  I will cut out all the holes beforehand so they can focus on which planet goes where and what each one looks like.  I really like that this craft is BIG, shiny, and gives them an idea of each planet's color.  While they are working on this craft will be a perfect time to read some space books to them from the library :)
    It's going to be a really fun night!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    (To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
    Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
    (clap, clap)
    Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
    (clap, clap)
    Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
    Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
    THANKS!