Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Space Ship and Aliens Page


This is the latest page I came up with after seeing a similar one on Pinterest.  There was no pattern so I made up my own.  
The one special element of this page was the buttons.  I used the Take Me To Your Leader set from Shelly's Buttons and More.  I LOVE her site and variety of buttons.  I have to give myself a strict budget when I shop from them though cause there are just SO MANY cool button packs and I keep thinking of new fun pages to use them for.


I used dark blue felt for the background, gray for the ground, white & blue for the rocket ship, tie dye purple & lavender for the planet, and red, yellow, and orange for the flames.  Oh, and lime green and black scraps for the alien finger puppets.  I also used the buttons, googly eyes, scraps of decorative trim, a couple sequins, and clear vinyl for the rocket window.

I started with the planet.  I machine stitched around the outside of the planet and both edges of the ring, then I did another accent line in the middle of the ring.  Hopefully the close up picture explains what I mean: 

After I finished the planet I stitched the ground on.  Then I positioned the bottom rocket piece and stitched it into place - leaving room on the page for the flames.  I really enjoyed making the flames!  I layered the yellow, orange, and red shapes and stitched around the edge of the yellow to attach them to the rocket.  I overlapped them with the bottom of the rocket since the top rocket piece will cover it.  I then free form did a flame outline with my machine.  I think it makes the flame look much cooler!


I hand stitched the accent pieces onto the top rocket piece.  Then I sandwiched the vinyl between the top rocket piece and the middle ring piece - otherwise the vinyl sticks to my machine and snarls it all up - and stitched around it.  I left the top edge of the rocket open to form a pocket for the aliens.

I made the aliens with my hot glue gun.  Hot glue works beautifully with felt and is secure enough for rough playing.    I wouldn't use it for children who put things in their mouth though.  My five year old designed the eyes and mouth for the aliens for me :)  I glued the eyes, mouth, decorative trim "belts", and sequin "communicators" to the top body piece and glued top and bottom piece together around the edges.
My boys LOVE this page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

(To the tune of If You're Happy and You Know It)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
(clap, clap)
Make me happy, Oh so happy, If you'll only leave a comment;
Make me happy, take the time, and leave a comment.
THANKS!